Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tuttlingen


Tuttlingen, Germany, is a nice, middle-sized town on the eastern edge of the Black Forest. It has a reputation for manufacturing shoes and surgical instruments and has a semi-pedestrianized center and more Italian restaurants than any town I remember in Italy. The river that runs through town happens to be the Danube, but it is about half as wide (if that) as the Mississippi at St. Paul. I wouldn't be surprised if you could wade it. When I can, I'll post a photo. The source of the Danube at Donaueschingen is not far from here.

I spent the most of the afternoon wandering the town and reading my book (Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"--the ideal science book for a non-scientist), broken up by an hour's walk in the Danube Park with Mary Joy. At 7:15 I met her at the church and we walked in the rain to the center of town to have dinner at a Greek restaurant--not great, but things were slow, so they gave us a free ouzo as a before-dinner drink, and some sweet cocktail as a free after-dinner drink, along with the glasses of wine--which turned out to be carafes of wine!--that we had ordered with dinner. Needless to say, we felt a little tipsy walking back to Bernard's.

The quiz answers (don't peek if you haven't taken the quiz yet):

1. Good Friday.
2. John Lennon (this is the one I got a point for).
3. Wilde, 6' 3" and hefty, was a heavyweight boxer.
4. "Jack and Jill" and "Hickory, Dickory Dock."
5. Shaw, for the screenplay for the film version of "Pygmalion."

No comments:

Post a Comment